Quick review: St George Spirits Dry Rye Gin

Previously, I've reviewed St George Spirits' Botanivore Gin and Terroir Gin - both excellent American gin expressions. I've also had the pleasure to try out their Dry Rye Gin, and here are my thoughts.

St George Spirits Dry Rye Gin is based on 100% pot-distilled unaged rye, which is then matched with only six botanicals - juniper berries, black peppercorn, coriander, caraway, grapefruit peel and lime peel. The amount of juniper is 50% more compared to Botanivore and Terroir. They call it a gin for whiskey-lovers because of its malty genever-like characteristics - and even suggest using it in cocktails calling for rye whiskey - but I decided to treat it like any other gin.

Nose: Rich and malty, and even though it contains loads of juniper, the nose is dominated by peppercorn and savoury notes with an underlying citrus freshness. Mouth: Now the juniper really comes through together with a malty richness - not very unlike genever but still a different beast - with a pleasant spiciness and a long, peppery and full-bodied finish. I really like it - yet, it's quite far from a "regular" gin - nothing wrong with that, though. You just need to figure out how to use it properly.

Negroni / Dry Martini
When it comes to cocktails, I tried it the same way as with the other St George gins - Dry Martini, Gin & Tonic and Negroni. My favourite by far was the Negroni, where the richness and spiciness of the gin really came through - very delicious! The Gin & Tonic wasn't too bad, but the maltiness of the gin didn't fully work with the bittersweet tonic. The Dry Martini I didn't like at all, since the boldness of the gin totally overpowered the drink. In addition to Negroni, St George Spirits recommends to use Dry Rye Gin in a Buck, French 75 and Old Fashioned, and if I ever find myself with another bottle I'll definintely try them out!

Comments

Popular Posts