Quick review: Smögen Whisky Primör

A while ago I reviewed Strane London Dry Gin and Strane Navy Strength Gin from small distillery Smögen Whisky, whose main operations, as the name suggests, is about whisky. On March 1 they released their first commercial bottling Primör, which contains whisky distilled in autumn 2010 and aged until November 2013 in European oak barrels and a Bourdeaux barrique. The yield was 2188 bottles à 50 cl at 63.7% abv cask strength. As I really enjoyed their gins, I had high expectations for this whisky which was inspired by the peaty, full bodied style of the Scottish west coast.

Nose: A pleasant mix between sweet and smoky to begin with, which evolves into a well balanced and smooth aroma of oaky dryness, a touch of sea water and an indistinct fruitiness. Mouth: The sea water is still present, with powerful yet very comforting smoky notes and underlying layers of dried tropical fruit, oak and cracked black pepper - a bit rough around the edges before the warmth of the rather short finish brings some more spice and vanilla sweetness.

I don't consider myself a whisky expert at all, but to me this small Swedish distillery's first whisky bottling is surprisingly impressive and I'm sure that you'd agree. There are still some bottles left, so hurry up and order one before it's too late!


Comments

Popular Posts