Swedish punsch conquers New York

As previously mentioned, I spent a couple of days in New York prior to Tales of the Cocktail, and I tried to check out as many new bars as possible. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Swedish punsch seems to be very popular on the cocktail menus at the moment. Thanks to Haus Alpenz, Kronan Swedish Punsch is now readily available in the United States - it's actually produced here in Sweden but for some reason we can't buy it here.

Three recently opened bars kindly provided their Swedish punsch cocktail recipes for us to enjoy, so here we go!

Gin Palace
95 Avenue A, East Village (entrance on East 6th Street)

© DeRossi Global

Inspired by "old Victorian dive bars", Gin Palace is a cool new bar which has replaced El Cobre with a gin-based (surprise!) cocktail list including a Gin & Tonic on tap (authorities made them turn it off for a while, but I hear it's back on) and food like Fish & Chips. Absolutely beautiful - highly recommended!

Love on a Farmboy's Wages (Tom Chadwick)
45 ml Dorothy Parker gin
22 ml lemon juice
15 ml raspberry syrup
15 ml Santa Teresa rum (don't know which one)
22 ml Swedish punsch (Kronan I guess)

I didn't get any instructions, but I think it should be shake and strain - cheers!

Donna
27 Broadway, Williamsburg

© Donna

Opened in April, Donna looks almost like a cathedral and is a nice neighbourhood bar close to Williamsburg Bridge. I defied the rain and was certainly not disappointed, the drinks and snacks I tried were all great. Next time I will also try the Central American food.

Haunted House (Jeremy Oertel)
30 ml Rittenhouse Rye
30 ml Appleton V/X
15 ml Swedish punsch (Kronan!)
07 ml ginger syrup
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Stir and serve over ice in a rocks glass and garnish with an orange twist.

Extra Fancy
302 Metropolitan Avenue, Williamsburg

© Extra Fancy

When I visited Extra Fancy, it had only been open for six weeks. Seafood and cocktails by people from Macao Trading Co. and Employees Only are served in a rustic venue with an old-school clam shack vibe. I just had the time for a cocktail and a beer, but I will definitely be back for more... very promising indeed!

Squibnocket (Rob Krueger)
45 ml Banks 5 Island rum
30 ml Kronan Swedish punsch
22 ml beach plum puree
22 ml fresh lemon juice

Shake with ice cubes and strain into cocktail glass, garnish with umbrella and swimming lobster twist.

Beach plum puree
4 parts beach plum jam
2 parts simple syrup
1/2 part brandy

Just to make things even more interesting, I decided to come up with a cocktail recipe of my own containing Swedish punsch - you're welcome!

Old Tjikko
60 ml Laird's Applejack
22 ml lemon juice
22 ml Kronan Swedish punsch
15 ml spruce shoot syrup

Shake with ice cubes and strain into chilled cocktail glass, garnish with lemon zest.

Comments

Popular Posts