HIX pop-up restaurant and bar at Riche in Stockholm

Yesterday I attended the great initiative "Hix at Riche" here in Stockholm, where you could sample some of celebrated London based Mark Hix's signature dishes and Nick Strangeway's innovative cocktails. During my visit, I noticed that people in general are more interested in food rather than drinks, as I was told that the dinner tables are fully booked during the pop-up (April 17-18), but the bar was rather empty. Also, most of the few guests were drinking beer or wine, seemingly unaware of the special cocktails on offer.

HIX Riche Punch

I started with a HIX Riche Punch (Absolut vodka, Beefeater gin, sweet vermouth, bitters, citrus, lingonberries and earl grey tea) which was nice but almost like drinking lemonade - probably more suitable outside on a warm summer afternoon.

Temperley Fizz

My next drink was a Temperley Fizz (Somerset Cider Brandy 3yr, lemon juice, Bramley apple syrup, egg white and soda) which was more to my liking - great balance and texture but nothing spectacular.

Absolut and Oak

While sipping on a Nettle Gimlet (Absolut vodka, Beefeater gin, lime juice and nettle cordial), I had the pleasure of sitting at the bar with Nick Strangeway himself, discussing bars, spirits and cocktails - barrel-aging in particular - and he recommended me to go for the Absolut and Oak next (Absolut vodka infused with European oak, stirred with Noilly Prat), and it was a nice surprise with a subtle oakiness and a cool presentation too.

Nick Strangeway and Mark Hix - cheers!

Unfortunately I didn't have the time or money to stay and try the entire cocktail list, but I hope that HIX at Riche will be very successful because I really enjoyed it even though Nick didn't shake the cocktails himself. We definitely need more events like this in Stockholm - so fingers crossed!

Comments

Popular Posts