THE MILLIONAIRE



Finally I found myself some "real" apricot brandy when visiting Prague - not the sweet liqueur, but apricot eau-de-vie. To be sure, I bought both Meruňkovice and Moravská Meruňka, the latter being a cheaper version of the triple distilled 42 % apricot liquor. So, what to do with it? I decided to try the revised THE MILLIONAIRE recipe from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails, but not even the addition of the omitted grenadine could save it... not a very pleasant cocktail at all.


What now? I browsed through my vintage cocktail book collection and found this recipe in Boothby's World Drinks (1934), which is different from most others regarding the amount of citrus juice:

Millionaire No. 3
Rum ¼ jigger
Apricot Brandy ¼ jigger
Sloe Gin ¼ jigger
Grenadine 1 dash
Lemon 1 spoon

Shake well with ice, strain into chilled cocktail glass and serve.

Well, it was somewhat better, but not very tasty at all compared to Dr. Cocktail's version with the sweet apricot liqueur. Conclusion: I need to find another purpose for my recently acquired bottles of dry apricot liquor. Any suggestions?

Comments

  1. With cocktails using sweet rum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in any recipe with dry apricot brandy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts