CELERY SOUR

Found this in THE IDEAL BARTENDER (Thomas Bullock, 1917) and intrigued by the name, I read the list of ingredients - only to find that there must be something missing. One can't make a cocktail from 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon pineapple syrup and 1 teaspoon celery bitters... So, I started browsing through my book collection and finally found a complete recipe in THE 20TH CENTURY GUIDE FOR MIXING FANCY DRINKS (James Maloney, 1900). Now I just need to get myself a bottle of celery bitters so I can try it!

CELERY SOUR

Fill mixing glass two-thirds full fine ice.

1 teaspoonful syrup
2 teaspoonfuls pineapple syrup
1 teaspoonful lemon juice
¼ tablespoonful celery bitters.
1 wine glass whisky (Old Crow).

Stir well, strain into a claret glass with fruit, dash with seltzer, top off with a little claret and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts